RSI Admissions Guidelines
Thank you for applying to the 2013 Research Science Institute. The application is now closed for all U.S. students.
CEE will notify RSI applicants by March 31, 2013.
RSI 2013 will take place at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) June 23rd to August 3rd, 2013.
It is recommended that PSAT math scores be at least 76, and combined math, critical reading, and writing PSAT scores be at least 220. ACT math scores should be at least 33 and verbal scores at least 34. Lower scores must be offset by strong indicators of mathematical, scientific, and academic potential exemplified in recommendations, high school grades, and science activities.
There are three types of applicants: International, DoDEA, and US Citizens and Permanent Residents Please note that high school seniors are not eligible to apply.
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents: All U.S. students, including US Citizens studying at non-DoD schools overseas, with one year remaining before graduation from high school, may apply to RSI. US Citizens and Permanent Residents applications are submitted directly to CEE. Students are not nominated or selected by their schools. Successful applicants will have demonstrated superior scholastic achievement in mathematics, the sciences, and verbal arts. They will have shown the potential for leadership in science and mathematics through their activities in and beyond the classroom. Many will have a lengthy record of participation in mathematics, science, and engineering competitions at the regional, state, and national levels. Some will have completed university-level coursework, worked in a research laboratory, or conducted original scientific research. Others will have completed hands-on projects displaying significant ability in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics design, implementation, and analysis. Most will have been leaders in community and school activities.
- The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Applicants: DoDEA students must inquire at their schools for more information about RSI and submit their application through their school’s procedure. Please do not send your application to CEE if you are a DoDEA student.
- International Applicants: Each participating country has its own selection procedure and selection schedule. Please contact Ms. Maite Ballestero, Vice President for Programs to determine if your country participates. If it does, her team will put you in contact with the appropriate representative at the agency conducting selection for your country. For more information, click here.
Each student's application must include:
- The applicant's essay responses to the questions in the application. These should detail his or her goals in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
- Recommendations by two teachers familiar with the candidate and the candidate's scholastic record.
- The candidate's official high school transcript.
- All scores from nationwide standardized tests. These include the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams. State NCLB exam results are not required or used in selection. Students planning to apply for RSI are strongly encouraged to take the PSAT.
For further information, please contact RSI.